JOB DESCRIPTION: The Church Custodian is a member of the Church Staff. The custodian is responsible
for the overall cleaning and maintenance of the church building.
He/she is expected to contribute to the team spirit of the church ministry staff through fellowship,
encouragement, cooperation, prayer, support, and other appropriate ways, as he/she serves Jesus Christ
and the church.
HOURS: 10-20 hours per week. Work hours are Flexible but should be agreed upon by pastoral staff.
Attend special events as necessary.
- The Custodian will sustain a vital, growing relationship with the Lord through personal and
corporate worship, study of God’s Word, prayer, and regular, ongoing fellowship with believers at
Rio Life Community Church.
- The Custodian must be a member in good standing of Rio Life Community Church or, if not a
member when called to the church, he/she will become a member as soon as possible, ideally
completing the membership process within three months of the date his/her employment begins.
- Some previous level of familiarity with basic custodial/maintenance responsibilities is preferred,
but not required.
- The Custodian will have the ability to physically perform the responsibilities of the job, including
lifting a maximum of 50 lbs. on a regular basis, working with cleaning chemicals, being on your
feet for long periods of time, and being able to bend, stoop, lift, and carry various objects
throughout a normal day.
- Maintain daily cleanliness in the building and the grounds using prescribed procedures, supplies, and
equipment, and exercising safety consciousness at all times. This includes, but is not limited to,
cleaning bathrooms, sweeping, dusting, mopping, vacuuming, cleaning windows, emptying and
carrying out trash, and potentially overseeing outside of facilities during all times of the year.
- Performing minor maintenance based on ability and availability of resources.
- Being proactive by being aware of facility and event needs, and using initiative in determining the best
way to accomplish the goal.
- Make sure facility is cleaned before every use on a weekly basis and on special occasions when advised.
- Clean facility after rental use on Saturdays, before Sunday morning services as directed by
- Lead a team of volunteers to assist in cleaning responsibilities and other duties. Schedule,
communicate, and delegate tasks to volunteers.
- Communicate with administrative assistant to maintain cleaning/maintenance supplies.
- Communicate to administrative assistant when major maintenance issues arise and contract work is
- Lead yearly Clean Up day
10.Prioritize responsibilities and complete assigned tasks in a timely manner.
11.Other duties as assigned.